Tuesday, September 04, 2007

KNC Monthly Newsletter

Imagine my surprise, when at our recent weekly teachers meeting, I was told to submit an essay for inclusion in this months school newsletter to the parents. I didn't even know we had a newsletter. Plus, I could sense a collective sense of relief in the room, as many long serving teachers had never had to write an essay for thousands of parents to study and critique. I weighed up a number of topics to discuss, and whittled it down to a shortlist of.....

"The Life And Times Of Jean Claude Van-Damme"

"Kimchi and Cheese Omelettes"

"The Phantom Menace. Why?"

Then, I realised I should probably just write about something natural. Recently, another spate of TV programmes here have attempted to label all English teachers as greedy, ignorant, drug-taking, violent, drunken, illegal degree possessing criminals, a dangerous blight on their society. Granted, there probably are a few people here who encompass all of these qualities, but the media sometimes use a very broad brush to paint a much more inflammatory and hideous picture for the viewing audience. I decided to write an essay describing my reasons for coming to Korea, so at least the parents can have a little more insight. Ultimately, it isn't an essay extolling the numerous virtues of the country itself, as I really didn't want to lick any arses. But, hopefully they realise that money isn't everyone's reason for coming here, as is the common misconception (I've been told by taxi drivers that I make W5,000,000 a month! That's more than double).

Regarding the accusation of "drunken", I regrettably have no defence. Oh, I may have been 'creative' in the essay, as in being able to play the guitar. What a lie haha! Lastly, to all my friends, don't misinterpret the comment about weekends being boring, I mean the part of the weekend that didn't involve getting smashed and having fun. That is never boring.


"On a fairly frequent basis, I am asked by a variety of different people, what exactly led to me leaving my home to seek employment on the other side of our planet. Some people find this a terrifying prospect, while others view it a natural and agreeable act. In this short essay, I will address some of these issues, and highlight feelings that are undoubtedly shared by many of my peers. This is not an account of the many reasons why I like living in Korea, but rather the changes within myself due to my coming here.

The decision to live and work in a foreign land is certainly never made lightly. Such relocation usually marks a point in your life of vast significance and boundless possibility. There are numerous reasons why you might desire a change of such magnitude. Personally, despite its own merits, I had become bored of living in my native country, which no longer provided me with sufficient stimulation or inspiration. As the days blended seamlessly, subsequently the passing months also began to merge into one indistinguishable, vacuous whole. Despite a strong network of loving friends and family, I had begun to feel restless and unfulfilled, and desperately craved a lifestyle hitherto unknown to me.

After much deliberation, I concluded that the most attractive solution would be to immerse myself in a foreign culture, stripping away certain familiarities and home comforts, and placing myself in a position so markedly different from my own that I would be forced to learn and adapt in order to carve out a happy existence. In doing so, I imagined that I would reinvigorate myself both mentally and physically, and tap into once forgotten veins of creativity, such as my ambition to write a movie screenplay, and possibly film a short movie.

The opportunity to teach English in South Korea presented itself as a means by which I could satisfy my hunger for travel, while pursuing my career as a teacher. Fortunately, my fourteen months here have delivered everything I had hoped, and I feel excited at the prospect of another year in this beautiful country. Although, as I previously stated, people have myriad reasons behind their decision to come here, I can testify that for anyone in a similar position to myself, it can potentially alter the way you view life in general, and your position within it. Teaching children is extremely rewarding, and it gives me great pleasure to do so. Also, whereas the end of a working week used to signify a weekend of perfunctory routine, I now anticipate each weekend with fervor, as each one is usually punctuated by an enjoyable cultural or scenic experience, or quite often both simultaneously.

Although I still have no completed screenplay sitting on a Hollywood producers desk, my relocation has, indeed, imbued me with the motivation necessary to embark on such projects. Since arriving in Korea, in March 2006, I have lost weight, began to learn a new language, discovered a wealth of local musical talent, made many new friends, learned guitar, discovered a passion for hiking, and initiated preparations for a short movie. Without the mental ignition provided by my temporary home country, I doubt half of these interests would have advanced past procrastination.

Living and working in a foreign country can initiate a reawakening in a person, increase their knowledge and happiness, and provide them with the most unforgettable memories. With this sustained effect, I look forward to another year of continued exploration, productivity, and enlightenment."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home